Monday, June 11, 2012

Designed Lab Report


For our wave properties lab, we will be using droppers.

Guiding Question:

How does weight of an object affect the waves around it?

Hypothesis:
I think that the shape does not matter. But I think that the weight is going to determine how high the waves are going to be. Also I think that the height the object is dropped from will determine the height of the wave.


Materials:
1) Bucket
2) Water supply
3) Camera
4) Ruler
5) Varied Objects-
->Plastic balls
->Clay block
->Tape roll
->Big  rock


Controls (what stays the same):

1) Amount of water in bucket before  
2) Size of bucket


Variables (what changes):

1)  The objects
2) The corresponding waves  




Weights:


Plastic Ball 1-  57.2 Grams
Plastic Ball 2-  5.1 Grams
Modeling Clay- 85.4 Grams
Tennis Ball- 66.8 Grams
Styrofoam Ball- 12.8 Grams  
Tape Roll- 71.3 Grams

Shape:

Plastic Ball 1 and 2- Sphere
Modeling clay- Cylinder and Flat circle
Tape roll- Spherical/2d circle  


Results:

Tennis Ball-
Splash: 4 cm
Plastic Ball 1-
Splash: 5 mm
Plastic Ball 2-  
Splash: 1 mm
Styrofoam Ball-
Splash: 1.5 cm
Tape Roll-
Splash: 2.5 cm
Clay Cylinder-
Splash: 1 cm
Clay Flat circle:
Splash: 4 cm


Data Analysis:
I think that my data was accurate because we tested each thing twice, and if we got different answers, we would try it a third time to check which one was correct. I saw that there was a pattern that showed that the heavier and bigger objects made the bigger splash. Even though we only droped the objects from 30 cm height, I think that if we dropped it from a higher point it would have made a bigger splash.

Conclusion:
How does weight of an object affect the waves around it? Well we thought that the shape does not matter. But I think that the weight is going to determine how high the waves are going to be. Also I think that the height the object is dropped from will determine the height of the wave. What I predicted was going to happen or my hypothesis was close with what actually happened during this Lab report me and my partner designed.


Further Inqaury: We had a few problems with our plab report when we started. First of all, we couldn't decide on the topic we were going to write about. Once we solved that problems, got all the materials, we had to put it all together. Once we did that, we had a ruler sticked next to the tank in wich water was filled up. And once we would throw the object into the pool, by instinct we closed our eyes because of the water splashing. So for some objects we needed to throw the object a few times until we got it right. I think we could have made it that we throw the objects from different hights, but we didn't because we had little time to complete the throwing in time to be able to finish the writing part.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. I think it's funny that you closed your eyes. How are you going to collect the data. I'm glad that you included this. I never would have thoguht, but it is natural instinct to close them especially when you know there will be a splash. :) Good job on the analysis. What about the shape of the object?

    ReplyDelete